[CentOS-announce] CentOS 5 i386 Live CD

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Tue Jul 10 10:51:59 UTC 2007

The CentOS Development team is pleased to announce the availability of
the CentOS 5 i386 Live CD.

This CD is based on our CentOS-5.0 i386 distribution.

It can be used as a Workstation, with the following software:

OpenOffice.org 2.0.4
Firefox 1.5.0.10
Thunderbird 1.5.0.10
Gaim-2.0.0
Scribus-1.3.3
xchat-2.6.6
k3b-0.12.17
Gimp-2.2.13

It can also be used as a rescue CD with the following tools:

1. Full set of LVM and RAID command line tools
2. QTParted
3. Nmap and NMapFE
4. Graphical Traceroute
5. samba-3.0.23c with cifs kernel support to connect to Windows file shares
6. System Log Viewer
7. GUI Hardware Device Manager

The CentOS 5 i386 Live CD is based on the ADIOS Live CD Project:

http://os.cqu.edu.au/adios/adk.html

This CD has a non writable /usr directory, which means it is not able to
have software installed on it after boot up.  The CentOS team is working
hard to create a Live CD for CentOS 5 that is based on the Fedora Live
CD Project (that is writable in all directories and even able to be used
for installs) ... unfortunately we were not able to get this working
with CentOS 5 for this release.  We hope to get that Live CD working by
the release of CentOS 5.1.

That means that the purposes of this CD are to see if CentOS will
boot/work on your hardware, to test some of the features of CentOS as a
workstation, and to use as a Rescue CD.  It does not contain all the
features of the 7 CD CentOS 5 Distribution on one CD :)

The CentOS Project would like to thank Patrice Guay (
http://www.nanotechnologies.qc.ca ) for the creation of this CD.
Patrice did the Tao Linux live CDs in the past and graciously donated
his time and effort to make this one too.

You can get the CentOS 5 i386 Live CD from the mirrors listed here:

http://isoredirect.centos.org/centos/5/isos/i386/

Filename: CentOS-5.0-i386-LiveCD.iso
Size:     711890944
MD5Sum:   67894bd2530c0063baa01ac2e93435b0
SHA1Sum:  befbc2bbb7409b84e33a3c19980e48d91f08901b

Please see the CentOS specific release notes here:
http://wiki.centos.org/Manuals/ReleaseNotes/CentOS5.0

detailed upstream release notes here:
http://www.centos.org/docs/5/html/release-notes/as-x86/index.html

CentOS-5 Documentation is here: