[CentOS-announce] CentOS-5.6 Continuous Release i386 and x86_64

Karanbir Singh kbsingh at centos.org
Mon Aug 15 20:23:27 EDT 2011

The CentOS-5.6 Continuous Release ( CR ) repository is now available on
mirror.centos.org. This repository contains rpms to be included in the
next CentOS-5.x release. Because these include security and bugfix
updates, we strongly recommend everyone using CentOS-5 install and
update their system using this repository.

---------------------
Download and Install:

Installing the CR repository needs a manual step. You must download the
correct centos-release-cr rpm and install it on your machine, this would
setup the CentOS-CR.repo file in /etc/yum.repos.d/

i386:
http://mirror.centos.org/centos/5.6/cr/i386/RPMS/centos-release-cr-5-6.el5.centos.1.i386.rpm
md5: 67bbeb40cb77a91379847074667d2956
sha256: 50cd9f3d35b391a9009a9caae80182dcfccfa5abaf4ff4ef5f4d880bcf26b04c

x86_64:
http://mirror.centos.org/centos/5.6/cr/x86_64/RPMS/centos-release-cr-5-6.el5.centos.1.x86_64.rpm
md5: c447f54818a657a9dfd7fdd28a28cfcc
sha256: dab390a0fca17612e438b215fc90448ebcef982e96e25cbea8426f00edc8b7a5

Notes:

- All rpms in the CR repo are signed with the main distro key

- We hope to have the 5.7 Release ready in the next 7 to 10 days

- All updates released since 5.7 upstream, will also be added to the CR
repo in the next 24 hrs

- Once 5.7 is released, the 5.6/cr/ repositories will be removed ( they
will not be available on vault.centos.org )

- We will create and test a migration path from 5.6/cr to 5.7/os.
Everyone running regular updates will automatically be moved to the 5.7
release repositories once they are available on the mirrors.

- Baseurl for the CR repo is set to only use centos.org internal
machines, this is to reduce the amount of time we need to spend in
seeding and then managing external mirrors.

- All contents in the CR repo will be announced into a separate
announcement list; once 5.7 is released the announcements will be
re-sent to the centos-announce list.

Comments and feedback are always welcome.

Enjoy!

--
Karanbir Singh
The CentOS Project