[CentOS-announce] Release for CentOS-6.0 i386 and x86_64

Karanbir Singh kbsingh at centos.org
Sun Jul 10 14:51:21 EDT 2011

We are pleased to announce the immediate availability of CentOS-6.0 for
i386 and x86_64 Architectures.

CentOS-6.0 is based on the upstream release EL 6.0 and includes packages
from all variants. All upstream repositories have been combined into
one, to make it easier for end users to work with.

There are some important changes to this release compared with the
previous versions of CentOS and we highly recommend reading this
announcement along with the Release Notes at
http://wiki.centos.org/Manuals/ReleaseNotes/CentOS6.0

There are no CD images being released with CentOS-6, however we have
some CD variants in the pipeline. Details for these are mentioned below.

Since upstream has a 6.1 version already released, we will be using a
Continous Release repository for 6.0 to bring all 6.1 and post 6.1
security updates to all 6.0 users, till such time as CentOS-6.1 is
released itself. There will be more details about this posted within the
next 48 hours.

+++++++++++++++++++++++
Upgrading from CentOS-4 or CentOS-5:

We recommend everyone run through a reinstall rather than attempt an
inplace upgrade from CentOS-4 or CentOS-5

+++++++++++++++++++++++
LiveCD and LiveDVD

LiveCDs and LiveDVDs for i386 and x86_64 will be released within the
next few days. These will bring in the ability to directly install from
the livemedia.

+++++++++++++++++++++++
Minimal Install CD

We have also created a minimal install CD, that would bring up a base
machine with just enough content to have a usable platform. This CD
image will be released in the next few days.

+++++++++++++++++++++++
The LightWeightServer (LWS) CD

In order to bring back the CentOS-4 Server CD style single iso image, we
are creating a LWS varient of the main distro. Details for this will be
posted in the next few days with release happening after the live media
and the minimal cd editions.

+++++++++++++++++++++++
Downloading CentOS-6.0 for new installs:

When possible, consider using torrents to run the downloads. In most
cases you will find its also the fastest means to download the distro.
There are currently over a thousand  people seeding CentOS-6 and it's
possible to get upto 100mbps downloads via these torrents.

Torrent files for the DVD's are avilable at :
http://mirror.centos.org/centos/6.0/isos/i386/CentOS-6.0-i386-bin-DVD.torrent
http://mirror.centos.org/centos/6.0/isos/x86_64/CentOS-6.0-x86_64-bin-DVD.torrent

You can also use a mirror close to you :
http://www.centos.org/modules/tinycontent/index.php?id=30

Most mirrors will allow direct DVD downloads over http, ftp and rsync.

Please keep in mind that not all mirrors are currently updated, some
might take upto another 24 hours before they have all the content.

+++++++++++++++++++++++
sha1sum for the CentOS-6.0 ISOS:

i386:
fcf49e875cd4494f2af68cf257ab9e93523c9427  CentOS-6.0-i386-bin-DVD.iso
862815623d2e7990207dd78a281837c7eb719e83  CentOS-6.0-i386-netinstall.iso

x86_64:
9de87b0c696ebd72b952edb4cc06c24cbdc37d81  CentOS-6.0-x86_64-bin-DVD1.iso
5e3834621f11fbcca78cf7d70625c647045f45f5  CentOS-6.0-x86_64-bin-DVD2.iso
23f9e606cbcbd52d2e5df3716a85cdde336f7bfe  CentOS-6.0-x86_64-netinstall.iso

+++++++++++++++++++++++
Sources and Debuginfo packages:

SRPMS and debuginfo packages are still making their way to the CentOS
mirrors and should be available within the next 24 to 48 hours. We are
prioritising the centos modified packages.

+++++++++++++++++++++++
Getting Help:

The best place to start when looking for help with CentOS is at the wiki
( http://wiki.centos.org/GettingHelp ) which lists various options and
communities who might be able to help. If you think there is a bug in
the system, do report it at http://bugs.centos.org/ - but keep in mind
that the bugs system is *not* a support mechanism.

+++++++++++++++++++++++
Contributing and joining the project:

We are always looking for people to join and help with various things in
the project. If you are keen to help out a good place to start is the
wiki page at http://wiki.centos.org/Contribute . If you have questions
or a specific area you would like to contribute towards that is not
covered on that page, feel free to drop in on
#centos-devel at irc.freenode.net for a chat or email the centos-devel list
(http://lists.centos.org).

Thanks to everyone who contributed towards making 6.0

Enjoy!

--
Karanbir Singh <kbsingh at centos.org>
The CentOS Project {http://www.centos.org}