[CentOS-announce] MirrorList.centos.org is now available on ipv6

Karanbir Singh kbsingh at centos.org
Mon Jun 11 15:12:00 EDT 2012

Hi Everyone,

It gives me great pleasure to announce that mirrorlist.centos.org is now
available on ipv6; in addition to the existing ipv4 functionality.

This is a full featured service, using geoip on the server end to hand
out local-to-user IPv6 mirrors. Every url handed out is verified at
regular intervals and only the freshest ones used.

Our IPv6 mirror network is presently just under 150 hosts spread over 32
different countries - with a large bias towards the USA and Western
Europe. We would love to bring on more machines to get better coverage
around the world. In the 30 minutes since we turned it on, we are
serving just over 8 requests per second over ipv6. So while its not
huge, its a significant number and one that we imagine will only grow.

I would like to thank Anssi Johansson ( http://twitter.com/avij ),
member of the CentOS QA team and resident IPv6 champion, for his efforts
in pushing for this service. Then helping build it and test it.

Note that we do not have DNS on ipv6, so we still rely on the user end
hosts having an upstream dual stacke dns resolver enroute to
ns*.centos.org - we will try and fix this in the near future.

If you have any feedback, or run into issues, please come find us on irc
at #centos-devel at irc.freenode.net or open an issue report at
http://bugs.centos.org/

Enjoy the v6 goodness,

--