[CentOS-announce] Release for CentOS-6.4 i386 and x86_64

Karanbir Singh kbsingh at centos.org
Sat Mar 9 00:20:48 UTC 2013

We are pleased to announce the immediate availability of CentOS-6.4
install media for i386 and x86_64 Architectures. Release Notes for 6.4
are available at http://wiki.centos.org/Manuals/ReleaseNotes/CentOS6.4 -
we recommend everyone looks through those once.

CentOS-6.4 is based on the upstream release EL 6.4 and includes packages
from all variants. All upstream repositories have been combined into
one, to make it easier for end users to work with.

There are many fundamental changes in this release, compared with the
past CentOS-6 releases, and we highly recommend everyone stufy the
Release Notes as well as the upstream Techical Notes about the changes
and how they might impact your installation.

All updates released since upstream 6.4 release are also released to the
CentOS-6.4 mirrors.

Everyone who has centos-cr repositories enabled and in use, would
already be running CentOs-6.4 as of two weeks ago and will notice only
the centos-release rpm update with this release.

+++++++++++++++++++++++
Upgrading from CentOS-4 or CentOS-5:

We recommend everyone run through a reinstall rather than attempt an
inplace upgrade from CentOS-4 or CentOS-5.

+++++++++++++++++++++++
Upgrading from CentOS-6.0 / 6.1 / 6.2 or 6.3

Unless you have edited your yum configs, a 'yum update' should move your
machine seamlessly from any previous CentOS-6.x release to CentOS-6.4

+++++++++++++++++++++++
Downloading CentOS-6.4 for new installs:

When possible, consider using torrents to run the downloads. Usually its
also the fastest means to download the distro.

Torrent files for the DVD's are available at :
http://mirror.centos.org/centos/6.4/isos/i386/CentOS-6.4-i386-bin-DVD1to2.torrent
http://mirror.centos.org/centos/6.4/isos/x86_64/CentOS-6.4-x86_64-bin-DVD1to2.torrent

You can also use a mirror close to you :
http://www.centos.org/modules/tinycontent/index.php?id=30

Most mirrors will allow direct DVD downloads over http, ftp and rsync.

Please keep in mind that not all mirrors are currently updated, some
might take upto another 24 hours before they have all the content.

We have also made efforts to try and ensure that most install types and
roles can be run from DVD-1 itself.

+++++++++++++++++++++++
sha1sum for the CentOS-6.3 ISOS:

i386:
4bd3a1de6f6dfcd7a2199487abf5a9304d696cae  CentOS-6.4-i386-bin-DVD1.iso
fb096cd6ac88959a287256c76c7292ae2ef53f32  CentOS-6.4-i386-bin-DVD2.iso
ddb63a0af2c1d63b8e9b7342c7f52a86b1842689  CentOS-6.4-i386-minimal.iso
6ffc9f3a5f4332b55cc35f1eb3ebb39f5aa8edb6  CentOS-6.4-i386-netinstall.iso

x86_64:
8672dc087f1b0eda60b9efaa41b82f034f185e24  CentOS-6.4-x86_64-bin-DVD1.iso
db16ec15897dcb7a01e7434486075f43ca982c4b  CentOS-6.4-x86_64-bin-DVD2.iso
6232efa014d9c6798396b63152c4c9a08b279f5e  CentOS-6.4-x86_64-minimal.iso
77817ed6e879da155b6f3dc98e0698e8993e28f8  CentOS-6.4-x86_64-netinstall.iso

+++++++++++++++++++++++
LiveCD and LiveDVD

We will be releasing the LiveCD and LiveDVD images in the next few days
for both i386 and x86_64.

+++++++++++++++++++++++
Getting Help:

The best place to start when looking for help with CentOS is at the wiki
( http://wiki.centos.org/GettingHelp ) which lists various options and
communities who might be able to help. If you think there is a bug in
the system, do report it at http://bugs.centos.org/ - but keep in mind
that the bugs system is *not* a support mechanism.

+++++++++++++++++++++++
Metups and training sessions

In the next few days we will be announcing CentOS Dojo's to be held in
different parts of the world. These will be one day events, focused on
systems and operations issues and will have talks as well as tutorials.
The aim being to encourage best practises, build social communities
around the CentOS user base and to encourage conversations around the
issues that CentOS users care about the most. Keep a lookup for a Dojo
coming to a city near you or jump in and help organise one.

At this point we have plans to organise events in Antwerp, Beligum;
Phoenix, USA; New York City, USA; Sao Paolo, Brazil and London, UK. If
you would like to get involved in helping organising, running,
presenting or sponsoring a Dojo or even just want more detail do get in
touch with us at the CentOS Promo list ( http://lists.centos.org/ )

+++++++++++++++++++++++
Contributing and joining the project:

We are always looking for people to join and help with various things in
the project. If you are keen to help out a good place to start is the
wiki page at http://wiki.centos.org/Contribute . If you have questions
or a specific area you would like to contribute towards that is not
covered on that page, feel free to drop in on
#centos-devel at irc.freenode.net for a chat or email the centos-devel list
(http://lists.centos.org).

+++++++++++++++++++++++
Thanks to everyone who contributed towards making CentOS 6.4, specially
the effort put in, as always, by the QA team.

A special shout out to all the donors who have contributed hardware,
network connectivity, hosting and resources over the years. The CentOS
project now has a fairly well setup resource pool, purely thanks to the
donors.

Enjoy!

--
Karanbir Singh <kbsingh at centos.org>