[CentOS-announce] Release for CentOS-7 on x86_64

Karanbir Singh kbsingh at centos.org
Mon Jul 7 18:30:23 UTC 2014

We would like to announce the general availability of CentOS Linux 7
for 64 bit x86 compatible machines.

This is the first release for CentOS-7 and is version marked as 7.0-1406

First, please read through the release notes at :
http://wiki.centos.org/Manuals/ReleaseNotes/CentOS7 - these notes
contain important information about the release and details about some
of the content inside the release from the CentOS QA team. These notes
are updated constantly to include issues and incorporate feedback from
the users.

- ----------
Updates, Sources and DebugInfos

Since the upstream EL7 release, there have been some updates released
- - these have been built and are being pushed to the CentOS mirror
network at the moment. They will be available within the next 24 hrs.
- From this point on we will aim to deliver all updates within 24 to 48
hrs of upstream releases.

For the first time, this release was built from sources hosted at
git.centos.org, however srpms being a byproduct of the build and also
considered critical in the code and buildsys process are being
published to match every rpm we release. Sources will be available
from vault.centos.org in their own dedicated directories to match the
corrosponding binary rpms. Since there is far lesser traffic to the
source rpms compared with the binary rpms, we are not putting this
content on the main mirror network, however if users wish to mirror
this content they can do so using the reposync command available in
the yum-utils package. All source rpms are signed with the same key
used to sign their binary counterparts.

Debuginfo packages are also being signed and pushed. They should be
online by the end of this week, July 11th.

Yum configs for both sources and debuginfo packages are included in
the default centos-release package on every install.

For the CentOS-7 build and release process we adopted a very open
process. The output of the entire buildsystem is made available, as
its built, at http://buildlogs.centos.org/ - we hope to continue with
that process for the life of CentOS-7, and attempt bringing CentOS-5
and CentOS-6 builds into the same system.

- ----------
Numbering

CentOS 7.0-1406 introduces a new numbering scheme that we want to
further develop into the life of CentOS-7. The 0 component maps to the
upstream realease, whose code this release is built from. The 1406
component indicates the monthstamp of the code included in the release
( in this case, June 2014 ). By using a monthstamp we are able to
respin and reissue updated media for things like container and cloud
images, that are regularly refreshed, while still retaining a
connection to the base distro version.

In order to facilitate Special Interest Groups to further extend the
CentOS Linux platform, we are also using component codes. The main
distro is, therefore, titled 'Core'. SIGs would be able to adopt any
name they need and deliver that by overriding the base centos-release rpm.

- ----------
Download

In order to conserve donor bandwidth, and to make it possible to get
the mirror content sync'd out as soon as possible, we recommend using
torrents to get your initial installer images:

Details on the images is available on the mirrors at
http://mirror.centos.org/centos/7/isos/x86_64/0_README.txt - that file
clearly highlights the difference in the images, and when one might be
more suiteable than the others.

The size, sha256 sums and torrents for the ISO files,:

* CentOS-7.0-1406-x86_64-DVD.iso
  Size: 4148166656
  Torrent:
http://mirror.centos.org/centos/7/isos/x86_64/CentOS-7.0-1406-x86_64-DVD.torrent
  sha256sum:
ee505335bcd4943ffc7e6e6e55e5aaa8da09710b6ceecda82a5619342f1d24d9

* CentOS-7.0-1406-x86_64-Everything.iso
  Size: 7062159360
  Torrent:
http://mirror.centos.org/centos/7/isos/x86_64/CentOS-7.0-1406-x86_64-Everything.torrent
  sha256sum:
745a0a4a02147d8371b87dd09d402c7dc5fddc609caa7af44bc7b004de78c58a

* CentOS-7.0-1406-x86_64-GnomeLive.iso
  Size: 1108344832
  Torrent:
http://mirror.centos.org/centos/7/isos/x86_64/CentOS-7.0-1406-x86_64-KdeLive.torrent
  sha256sum:
2e926343f55903060bb453d0d1d21158d92a623c21ad5f820cfa8f97095888bf

* CentOS-7.0-1406-x86_64-KdeLive.iso
  Size: 1298137088
  Torrent:
http://mirror.centos.org/centos/7/isos/x86_64/CentOS-7.0-1406-x86_64-KdeLive.torrent
  sha256sum:
2157f276efbfc6ae2e037c29092a065628ba8598fe4c2c9b2473b3a5cd5b9abd

* CentOS-7.0-1406-x86_64-livecd.iso
  Size: 720371712
  Torrent:
http://mirror.centos.org/centos/7/isos/x86_64/CentOS-7.0-1406-x86_64-livecd.torrent
  sha256sum:
89ef9fb1c5564ccbbbcc223369cea8bcebc84bb28464db812fe01b775f8cf779

* CentOS-7.0-1406-x86_64-NetInstall.iso
  Size: 379584512
  Torrent:
http://mirror.centos.org/centos/7/isos/x86_64/CentOS-7.0-1406-x86_64-NetInstall.torrent
  sha256sum:
df6dfdd25ebf443ca3375188d0b4b7f92f4153dc910b17bccc886bd54a7b7c86

The iso files are also available for direct download from
http://mirror.centos.org/centos/7/isos/x86_64

- ----------
Coming Soon

We are currently working to extend the portfolio of content we deliver
for a major release. In the past its only been iso media and install
tree's, but with CentOS-7 we are also going to deliver:

= Docker Images

= Cloud Images in vendor ecosystems ( HPCloud, RackSpace, AWS, Google
Compute etc )

= Cloud Images for direct download and consumption in on-premise infra
( RDO/OpenStack, CloudStack, OpenNebula and Eucalyptus )

= Given the popularity of the minimal install ISO in CentOS-6, we are
going to try and deliver a minimal install ISO for CentOS-7 as well.
One key challenge here is that the installer image has grown to nearly
360MB, and getting enough content into a CD size image is proving hard.

= A community build system is in the works, we hope to have that
functional by the end of this month ( July 2014 ), allowing us to set
up a contributor base in the Special Interest Groups to extend and
further develop layers and variants on CentOS Linux

= Special Interest Groups including Xen on CentOS, CentOS Storage and
CentOS Atomic Host are starting to gain traction, expect to see
content delivered from those groups in the near future.

= As a part of the expanded Core efforts, we are also going to attempt
to deliver a CentOS-7 release for 32bit x86, ARM and PowerPC in the
coming months.

If you are interested in joining any of these efforts, signup for the
CentOS-devel list at http://lists.centos.org/ and send in a self intro
email and what areas you are interested in helping out with.

- ----------
Dojo

We try and organise Dojo's in various parts of the world as a one day
event, to bring together people who use CentOS and others who are keen
to learn about CentOS. The day's focus is on sharing technical
knowledge and success stories. Its also a great place to meet and talk
about upcoming technologies and learn how others are using them on
CentOS Linux.

04th Aug '14 Cologne, Germany :
http://wiki.centos.org/Events/Dojo/Cologne2014
25th Aug '14 Paris, France : http://wiki.centos.org/Events/Dojo/Paris2014
29th Oct '14 Barcelona, Spain:
http://wiki.centos.org/Events/Dojo/Barcelona2014

This autumn and winter we also hope to host Dojos in New York City
USA, Timisoara Romania and Bangalore, Pune and New Delhi in India.
Please keep an eye on the page at http://wiki.centos.org/Events for
details on these venues.

- ----------
Getting Help

The CentOS ecosystem is sustained by community driven help and
guidance. The best place to start for new users is at
http://wiki.centos.org/GettingHelp

- ----------
Contributors

This release was made possible due to the hard work of many people,
foremost on that list are the Red Hat Engineers for producing a great
distribution, without them CentOS Linux would look very different.

The following people made exceptional contributions in this build,
test release process for CentOS-7 :

  Akemi Matsuno-Yagi
  Alain Reguera Delgado
  Alan Bartlett
  Andreas Thienemann
  Anssi Johansson
  Athmane Madjoudj
  Bonnie King
  Brian Stinson
  Carl Trieloff
  Christoph Galuschka
  Fabian Arrotin
  James Moger
  Jeff Sheltren
  Jim Perrin
  Johnny Hughes Jr
  Karanbir Singh
  Karsten Wade
  Kay Williams
  Manuel Wolfshant
  Marcus Moeller
  Michael Scherer
  Mike McLean
  Pat Riehecky
  Ralph Angenendt
  Stephen John Smoogen
  Trevor Hemsley
  Tru Huynh
  Tuomas Kuosmanen
  Tuomo Soini
  Tyler Parsons

- ----------
Thanks

I?d also like to thank our donors and sponsors for their continued
support for the project. Its down to their help that we were able to
deploy enough resources to run the Public QA process for CentOS-7; as
a data point we ran nearly 300 - 350mbps of sustained bandwidth for
the last 3 weeks that we?ve had the Public QA running.

And thanks to everyone who contributed with ideas, code, test feedback
and promoting CentOS into the ecosystem.

Enjoy!

- --
Karanbir Singh, Project Lead, The CentOS Project
+44-207-0999389 | http://www.centos.org/ | twitter.com/CentOS