[CentOS-devel] kernel-sourcecode RPM?

Tue Nov 22 12:01:43 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-11-22 at 06:37 -0500, Charlie Brady wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Nov 2005, Karanbir Singh wrote:
>
> > Charlie Brady wrote:
> >>
> >> I notice that CentOS 4.2 has no kernel-sourcecode RPM, unlike 4.0 and
> >> 4.1. Is that intentional or an oversight?
> >
> > if you need to rebuild a kernel - use the kernel-*.src.rpm instead - if you
> > just need headers and module building ability, use the kernel-devel-*.rpm
>
> I don't want to do either. I want to build some modules which aren't
> included in the standard kernel. I'd like to get the source for them from
> the kernel-sourcecode RPM, as I've done in the past. But I can manage
> without if I have to.

When I need to build some kernel modules for a raid controller, that is
when I noticed that the modules produced from kernel-sourcecode did not
work.  They built fine, but didn't function.

That is when I started researching the kernel-sourcecode rpm more fully
and discovered that the tree is different and things happen inside the
code that is arch specific.

Fedora and RedHat both no longer produce the kernel-sourcecode package
by default.

It caused quite a stir on their mailing lists at the time.  However,
since it is their stance to not build a kernel-source=code and since the
source tree produced is different when using kernel-sourcecode, it is
better that we do what they do for consistency.