[CentOS-devel] yum update behavior plugin

Charlie Brady charlieb-centos-devel at budge.apana.org.au
Sun Aug 13 10:58:36 UTC 2006

On Sun, 13 Aug 2006, Karanbir Singh wrote:

> Charlie Brady wrote:
>>> Well, plugin to remove all packages but yum, if yum is within updated
>>> packages, is easy to write. But plugin can only stop yum execution and I
>>> can't see way to run yum again after yum update by itself.
>>
>> I don't see why yum couldn't update yum, then exec the new yum program,
>> listing the remaining packages as install arguments. You'd need to unlock
>> the lock file before calling execve.
>
> no! yum, on re-entry, needs to re-parse the metadata - its possible remote
> end metadata has changed for the new yum as well.

For a while I couldn't see what you were saying "no!" to - certainly my
assertion about the lock file is true.

OK, so you want the first yum to exec a new yum with the same arguments
that it itself was called with. It will then calculate its own transaction
set.

Hopefully it will not itself try to replace itself with the old yum
package.

---
Charlie