[CentOS-devel] yum update behavior plugin

seth vidal skvidal at linux.duke.edu
Sun Aug 13 13:30:31 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-08-13 at 12:13 +0100, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> Charlie Brady wrote:

> >> no! yum, on re-entry, needs to re-parse the metadata - its possible
> >> remote end metadata has changed for the new yum as well.
> >
> > OK, so you want the first yum to exec a new yum with the same arguments
> > that it itself was called with. It will then calculate its own
> > transaction set.
>
> yes :)
>
> > Hopefully it will not itself try to replace itself with the old yum
> > package.
>
> humm ? after the yum package has updated, there really should be no hint
> of the old yum stuff.....

You could also put a shell or python wrapper around yum for this thing
if you wanted to:

parse the arguments on the cli and see if it is just running 'update'
for all packages w/o looking for any other specific thing. If so then
first run a yum update yum. If that completes successfully then run the
rest of the update.

that might be easiest, actually.

-sv