[CentOS-devel] yum update behavior plugin

David Hrbáč hrbac.conf at seznam.cz
Mon Aug 14 08:12:12 UTC 2006

Karanbir Singh napsal(a):
> Hi David, thanks for picking up on this.
>
> Just displaying a message will be enough for now - if the process can
> exit with a 'yum has been updated, you need to now run yum again in
> order to process the other updates' - that should be fine, i think.
>
> purpose of the plugin is to fix an issue with yum itself, where it
> breaks into bits when there is functionality changes in a yum update,
> and can leave other packages in a not-completely-installed state.
>
> in specific terms, the issue we have is updating yum 2.0 to yum 2.4 /
> 2.2 where there is a change in the way kernel packages are installed. If
> yum is updated along with a new kernel package - the kernel package isnt
> installed properly.
>
> And besides this, I think packages in a repository should be able to
> assume the functional process of the package manager included in the
> repository.

Hi Karanbir,
the plugin is working, but not with yum in CentOs. :o) In
yum-2.4.2-2.centos4 there is not implemented remove method in file
transactioninfo.py(7 lines of code in CVS). Plugin works pretty well, if
yum is in packages to update, all packages are removed from transaction
but yum and dependecy is resolved finally. Resolving is mandatory, a new
yum can have different dependency. What we are going to do now?
Regards,
David