[CentOS-devel] iptables-devel in centos 4.4

Ralph Angenendt ra+centos at br-online.de
Wed Aug 23 12:10:37 UTC 2006

Milan Keršláger wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 23, 2006 at 01:45:17PM +0200, Ralph Angenendt wrote:
> > Oh, you mean that beta channel where 3.4.6-3 was available, which wasn't
> > the gcc version either upstream built their kernel rpm with (3.4.6-2)?
>
> -3 has 4 bug more fixed. You never will have 3.4.6-2 even after release
> in U4. So where is the problem?

The problem is that the gcc version RedHat used to build the kernel
never has been released.

> Do you want to build with compiler with 4 more bug fixed or with 5 or 6
> more?

No, normally with the compiler which is used by upstream (and wasn't
available). How do you know that a new compiler doesn't introduce new
bugs when building the kernel?

>> And now take that foot out of your mouth, it really makes you look
>> funny.
>
> And you too. Rules only for some people. Really funny.

I still haven't understood what you mean by "Rules only for some
people". As already stated: CentOS *tries* to stay as close as possible
to the upstream release. It looks like that isn't always possible (as in
this case, where the build chain from upstream hadn't been released).

The only case I see where CentOS (base!) strays from upstream is the
i586 kernel which can be used at installation time and the packaging of
yum (as RHN isn't available).

> I was asking to build non-crashing kernel only. Instead of fix I've got
> angry people trying to push me out. Really not funny end.

It might have been the way you asked. Calling people "unprofessional"
and mark their doings as "PLAIN WRONG" really doesn't help. Claiming
that they don't know "what is giving back" and suggesting that they do
not have a subscription while "using all that from REDHAT" doesn't help
either. Please reread your statements (and *HOW* you put them) in that
bug report.

Ralph
--
Ralph Angenendt......ra at br-online.de | .."Text processing has made it possible
Bayerischer Rundfunk...80300 München | ....to right-justify any idea, even one