[CentOS-devel] Building a custom 2.6.9 kernel

William L. Thomson Jr. wlt at obsidian-studios.com
Fri Feb 3 20:56:37 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-02-03 at 15:34 -0500, Matt Hyclak wrote:

> No, they really don't. I just listed the files in a kernel-devel rpm and the
> only .c files are in the scripts directory. It's pretty hard to compile the
> kernel without any source.
>
> Try again.

>From my .bash_history file

rpm2targz kernel-devel-2.6.9-22.EL.i686.rpm
tar -xzf kernel-devel-2.6.9-22.EL.i686.tar.gz
mv usr/src/kernels/2.6.9-22.EL-i686/ ./
cd 2.6.9-22.EL-i686
cp ../2.6.9-11.EL.config.working .config
make bzImage modules > /dev/null

Interesting now though it fails at the same point as the x86_64 on now,
and did not before. Could have to do with before I had it in /usr/src
and atm it's in my Desktop home dir.

make[1]: *** No rule to make target `init/main.o', needed by
`init/built-in.o'.  Stop.
make: *** [init] Error 2

Same error I was getting with x86_64, and now am getting it with the
i686 one as well. Now I did look around and you all are correct stuff is
missing like all the .c files? So now I have to figure out what rpm I
used, but I know it was not the src one because I have that here as
well. It was in a rpm, and I did pull it out of a rpm?

Ah crap, I think it was the regular kernel rpm and not the devel one?
Does it have full sources? I started with the src.rpm but after all the
problems.

Very sorry, on the package confusion. Totally my fault, my bad. However
I know it was not using the src.rpm, and now have ruled out the
kernel-devel one. Guess it must have been a binary kernel rpm with
sources?

--
Sincerely,
William L. Thomson Jr.