[CentOS-devel] Building a custom 2.6.9 kernel

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Fri Feb 3 22:34:29 UTC 2006

Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-02-03 at 16:04, Karanbir Singh wrote:

>>> It may not be a strict requirement of the GPL but I think
>>> I've seen recommendations about packaging the source and
>>> documentation so as to make it easy to rebuild, modify
>>> and use in other ways.  Seems odd that anyone involved
>>> in redistributing GPL'd material would be so against
>>> that spirit...
>>>
>> Les,
>>
>> I am not sure what your point is ?
>
> I thought I detected a certain animosity toward someone
> trying to rebuild the centos-packaged kernel in a
> different environment.  Maybe I misinterpreted things...

naw, we tried to help him on IRC, most people there are very helpful.

the problem we had was that conversation with this guy was heading up
the troll-scale so fast and so high, that it really just regressed into
noise.

he was pointed at the .src.rpm 5 times, but his mindset of building out
of kernel-devel instead was hard to shake off ( he carried that with him
  into the mailing list ). I recall being pointed at a few kernel
tarballs that had been built out of this said kernel-devel package even!
looking into one package it turned out to be the kernel built on
Johnny's machines.

*shrug*

its a no issue as far as i am concerned, this guy does not know about
centos or how its setup, we can try and tell him - whatever info he
takes away with him, is upto him. but if he is going to be a problem and
troll, he is going to get the +q treatment, just as anyone else does.