[CentOS-devel] RPMS and REPOS and REPO-Linkages

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Sun Nov 19 02:28:22 UTC 2006

Lance Davis wrote:

> I can see the need for possibly 2 different repositroies here to provide
> diferent strokes for different folks :-
>
> maybe
>
> centosplus-base linked against base - usable for people who only want to
> include particular packages and want them linked against base + updates.
>
> centosplus - where packages are linked against other packages in
> centosplus - usable by people who want all the latest & greatest.

Could we overcome some ( all ? ) of this overlap issue with relevant
compat-package-version packages ?

> Once we have the new builder in place it shouldnt be too much effort to
> provide both.
>
> The same discussion presumably is also merited for what centos-extras
> are linked against ???

Extras only link against base, since they dont overlap any of the
functionality of the packages in base. Also, Extras are enabled by
default, a user can 'yum install foo' from a stock install with no
manual intervention or an 'opt in' required. If a package from Extras
was to link against something in CentOSPlus, I'd presume that the
package needs to be moved into CentOSPlus itself since its unusable in
Extras.

- KB