[CentOS-devel] RPMS and REPOS and REPO-Linkages

Jim Perrin jperrin at gmail.com
Mon Nov 20 20:09:55 UTC 2006

> In the example I used above, you could mix and match easily, choosing php,
> php-mysql5, and php-pgsql (for core linked pgsql) just by choosing those
> packages.  That's not too hard.  I assumed since this is the devel list, and
> since this thread was referring to php, that particular package layout would
> be understood.  Not every package links in this manner though, so yes, it
> could get confusing for packages that don't (although the more distinct
> libraries a package links to, the more likely it is to compartmentalize
> them).

To nit-pick your example:
This isn't hard on the user side. On the builder side however, this
requires amazing amounts of work, including multiple builds per arch
based on linking package-sets, and multiple copies of repositories to
build against. There is not really a nice way to automate a build of
this style and the reward is not worth the effort. Even for php, which
does separate out and would be 'simple' it is still a very complex
process on the back end.

George Orwell