[CentOS-devel] Re: Release processs for CentOS 5

Kay Diederichs kay.diederichs at uni-konstanz.de
Wed Nov 22 14:12:18 UTC 2006

Johnny Hughes wrote:
> <moved over from the CentOS list to CentOS-devel>
>
> On Wed, 2006-11-22 at 01:06 +0000, Karanbir Singh wrote:
>> Matthew Miller wrote:
>>> I'm also curious if there's plans to do a separate Desktop and Server
>>> release. From what I saw in RHEL5 beta1, there's apparently a slightly
>>> different set of packages in each....
>> There is going to be a bit of a discussion on this soon, also howto
>> manage the various repos within each tree.
>>
>> - KB
>
> There are differences in the upstream release for Client and Server
> (much like the difference between AS, ES, WS, Red Hat Desktop, etc).  We
> handled this in CentOS-3 and CentOS-4 by just releasing the AS package
> set and it contains all the other subsets.
>
> It is slightly different now, however, as there are separate yum
> repositories (and directories) for Server, Client, VM, Cluster*, etc. on
> the EL5 Beta2 CDs (much like CentOS has extras, centosplus, etc. :P).
>
> In a yum tree on the server this is not too hard, links can be created
> to connect the packages that are the same and all can co-exist in one
> tree.
>
> (that might also work OK for the Binary DVD too ... we might be able to
> fit all the packages on the DVD in separate repos/dirs and keep it under
> 4.3gb)
>
> As far as I know, ln -s or hardlinks will not translate to size savings
> (or even work) on an iso9660 CD ... therefore it seems that we may have
> to either:

<snip>

Johnny,

from the man page of mkisofs it appears that mkisofs can detect
hardlinks and realizes space savings based on these:

-cache-inodes               Cache inode and device numbers to find hard
links to files.  If mkisofs finds a hard link (a file with multiple
names), then the file will only appear once on the CD. This helps to
save space on the CD.  The option -cache-inodes  is default on UNIX like
operating systems.  Be careful when using this option on a filesystem
without unique inode numbers as it may result in files containing the
wrong content on CD.

HTH,
Kay