[CentOS-devel] php 5 and MSSQL

Jim Perrin jperrin at gmail.com
Mon Nov 27 23:59:17 UTC 2006

On 11/27/06, Kevan Benson <kbenson at a-1networks.com> wrote:

> Is there any interest in adding MSSQL to php 5?  It's fairly easy to modify
> the spec to produce this (I've done so in a previos version already), and
> I'll volunteer to make the changes if there's consensus it's worth doing.

Upstream has separated this out into a separate package with
php-extras. This package includes php-tidy, php-mcrypt, php-mhash,
php-dbase, and the option to build php-mssql. Most of the required
libs do not exist within the base or updates repositories, though they
do exist within rpmforge.

> FreeTDS is required to build mssql support, and it's currently provided
> through rpmforge.  I assume everyone would prefer to have the required
> library exist within centosplus so php-mssql could be installed without
> requiring a library from an external repo?

I hesitate to do this because it's a duplication of effort between
rpmforge and centos. However without doing this, there isn't really a
reason to provide the srpm, as these packages cannot be built. I would
like to stay self-contained, and also without duplicating packages in
other repositories. Comments?

> So, what are your thoughts on this?  I know I keep getting asked for it, so I
> assume there's at least some demand.

These packages aren't provided upstream in the base php either, though
the option to build it is. There have been a couple entries in the php
tracking bug about this, so you are correct; there is some level of
interest.  I'm open to other comments or lines of reason, but I'm
hesitant to push these packages for now.

George Orwell