[CentOS-devel] CentOS-4.4 yumconf

danieldk at pobox.com danieldk at pobox.com
Sat Oct 14 09:17:46 UTC 2006

Roger Peña Escobio wrote:
> again, that was my impresion, I could be 200% wrong,
> and never was like that

I think you are wrong. Just look over the archives of the past few months.
Some examples of the CentOS developers asking for community input over the
last few months.:

- Yesterday's e-mail asking opinions about the testing repository.
- Johnny's e-mail a while back soliciting opinions about the plus kernel.
- The invitation to help writing documentation and participating in the
Wiki. Many Wiki-related proposals have been discussed on mailing-lists.
- Discussion about continuance of the SPARC port.
- Karanbir's requests for feedback on the server CD.
- Karanbir's request to write a plugin that deals with updating yum itself.

And the list goes on. I think the problem is that it is hard to find
people who contribute time to the project on a constant and permanent
basis. Besides that, CentOS is an enterprise distribution, so it is quite
natural that the opinion of the CentOS Developers (who have proven their
expertise and reliability) is weighed heavier than those of "some people
who just pass by".

Remember that it is often better for a technical project to function as a
meritocracy than a democracy.

-- Daniel