[CentOS-devel] kernel-*-devel and yum updates for CentOS-4.x

Ralph Angenendt ra+centos at br-online.de
Sun Oct 22 16:12:59 UTC 2006

Johnny Hughes wrote:
> -----------------------------------
> There are 3 options here:
>
> 1. Patch CentOS-4 yum to make yum install all kernel-*-devel files like
> it does for kernel-devel (or the reverse ... make kernel-devel and
> upgrade like the other files).

kernel-devel should be installed alongside, not upgraded. So if you have

kernel-a
kernel-devel-a

installed and do a yum update, you should end up with

kernel-a
kernel-b
kernel-devel-a
kernel-devel-b

installed on your machine, for example if you have to go back one kernel
 as a module you need doesn't compile on kernel-b. If you didn't have
kernel-devel-a anymore at that point, that could get quite ugly.

> 2. Modify the kernel-2.6.spec to do what FC >= 4 does.

I am against changing the kernel spec file. To clear up what Fedora did
with their kernels: Have each kernel-devel package (kernel-devel,
kernel-smp-devel, kernel-xen0-devel) also Provide: kernel-devel. This
way yum sorts out that all kernel-*-devel need to be installed instead
of upgraded.

> 3. Do nothing and tell people to choose what they want by updating this
> variable in /etc/yum.conf
>
> installonlyn=

Bad idea (even if you mean installonlypkg here). It's no consistent
behaviour, if kernel-devel gets installed and all other kernel-*-devel
packages get updated.

By the way: If we change yum according to 1), people using the
installonlyn plugin will get the kernel-*-devel package removed, when
the corresponding kernel package gets removed by the package.

> If there is no discussion of this item on this list by non-centos
> developers, then I will revert back to making bug changes based on only
> what the developers think :P

Hehe.

Cheers,

Ralph