[CentOS-devel] kernel-*-devel and yum updates for CentOS-4.x

Bogdan Costescu Bogdan.Costescu at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Mon Oct 23 13:43:45 UTC 2006

On Mon, 23 Oct 2006, Phil Schaffner wrote:

> I think I agree, but smp is not explicitly addressed by the above.

Indeed and I wanted to point this out as well, but you were faster ;-)

> IMHO, the "right way" [TM] to do this would be to change the default
> for "installonlypkgs=" in yum.

I'd also vote for this as it seems (to me, at least) to be the least
invasive.

> (Any need for multiple kernel-doc versions?)

Hey, you were faster here too... For the small security updates (like
the 42.0.2 and 42.0.3 from your example) there is probably no point to
have multiple kernel-doc packages. It might be worth doing it for
versions with real differences where maybe new drivers or whole
subsystems (f.e. InfiniBand) are added and hopefully also related
documentation, but the problem of identifying these real differences
is probably not the job of "yum" (and no, I don't have an idea whose
job should be...)

--
Bogdan Costescu

Telephone: +49 6221 54 8869, Telefax: +49 6221 54 8868