[CentOS-devel] 4.4 enterprise update?

Matt Hyclak hyclak at math.ohiou.edu
Wed Sep 6 19:46:48 UTC 2006

On Wed, Sep 06, 2006 at 09:42:09PM +0200, Joakim Sernbrant enlightened us:
> Why was the update to 4.4 automatic? Having a lot of new features
> automatically installed it not why we run an "enterprise" OS. I would
> like to be able to plan and test that kind of events.

Because CentOS 4 is CentOS 4. The point releases are just milestones during
which more than just security fixes are released. This is identical to how
upstream releases.

If you don't want surprises, I suggest you don't turn yum on to auto update
and point it at mirrors you don't control.

> A better way of handling it would be what I am used with from another
> "enterprise" distro:

The best way of handling it is for you to have your own repository into
which you put updates you have tested in your sandbox/testbed.

QED

--
Matt Hyclak
Department of Mathematics