[CentOS-devel] anaconda dependency calculation?

Charlie Brady charlieb-centos-devel at budge.apana.org.au
Thu Apr 12 17:09:59 UTC 2007

On Fri, 16 Mar 2007, Nicholas Byrne wrote:

> I'm trying to find a tool that calculates all dependencies for a specific
> package or group of packages for use with CentOS 5 (beta) with the intention
> of putting together a custom single CD build of CentOS 5. With CentOS 4 i
> used a python script that used the hdrlist module to find all dependencies
> which borrowed code from a number of sources.
>
> I've looked at yumdownloader and how it checks dependencies (using the
> --resolve option) but if i pass it the list of packages defined in say the
> Base and the Core yum groups which generally form an absolute minimal install
> i end up with about 200 packages. If i do a custom install (using beta 1
> disks) and deselect everything i end up with over 300 packages.
>
> So i'm guessing anaconda calculates dependencies in a slightly different way,
> can anyone point me to files/code where i should be looking to find out?

I've just started looking at yumdownloader to perform that task. I've
found a --installroot patch for it, so that (hopefully and apparently) it
will not use the build system's rpmdb and will start with a clean slate.
It runs to completion, and does *some* dependency resolution, but it's
clearly deficient. There are *lots* of unsatisfied dependencies in the
resultant package set.

I think this is an issue to take to the yum-devel list. I'll try bleeding
edge yum/yum-utils and see if it does a better job.

---
Charlie

> This e-mail is the property of Quadriga Worldwide Ltd, intended for the
> addressee only and confidential.  Any dissemination, copying or distribution
> of this message or any attachments is strictly prohibited.

[Rest of very silly email disclaimer snipped. Bah! Lawyers!]