[CentOS-devel] yumex-2.0 in testing

Tim Lauridsen tla at rasmil.dk
Tue Aug 21 14:12:01 UTC 2007

Phil Schaffner wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-08-18 at 09:28 -0700, Akemi Yagi wrote:
>
>> On 8/18/07, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> yumex-2.0 is now available in the testing repository for centos-5, this is the
>>> first stable release from Tim, meant for the EL5 platform. As always, please
>>> leave feedback so we might be able to move this into centos-extras.
>>>
>>> Information on the testing repository including usage is available at
>>> http://wiki.centos.org/Repositories
>>>
>>> - KB
>>>
>> Installed on both i686 and x86_64.  I have some notes about this version.
>>
>> (1) I unselected the autorefresh option in Preferences. This changed the
>> line "autorefresh=" in /etc/yumex.conf from "1" to "no".  However,
>> upon next start, refreshing still takes place.  Could someone test on
>> this?
>>

> Tested on i386.  Can't discern any difference in behavior with the
> following:
>
> autorefresh = 1
> autorefresh = no
> autorefresh = 0
> No autorefresh entry in /etc/yumex.conf

i will look into this issue.
> Would be nice if yumex made a backup of the config file as opposed to
> silently clobbering it.  Seems to make quite a lot of changes when
> simply trying to toggle one flag:

Yumex uses some yum API to write back the config changes to disk, but
there have be some changes in the yum api
to make it better and don't write all the default options back to disk.
But that don't help on a EL5 system, there use an older yum release.
I will find a way around this issue.

> # diff yumex.conf_orig yumex.conf
> 2,18c2,4
> < autorefresh = 1
> < recentdays = 14
> < proxy =
> < exclude =
> < debug = 0
> < color_install = darkgreen
> < color_update = red
> < color_normal = black
> < color_obsolete = blue
> < filelist = 0
> < changelog = 0
> < plugins = 1
> < usecache = 0
> < fullobsoletion = 0
> < yumdebuglevel = 2
> <
> <
> ---
>
>> autorefresh = no
>> exclude =
>> proxy =
>>

>> (2) Just a wish list. I would like to see the "Select All" and
>> "Deselect All" buttons like earlier versions in addition to (or
>> instead of) "Add All" and "Remove All".
>>
>> (3) When repolist gets out of testing, will it be possible to
>> integrate it in yumex? It will be very nice to be able to see all
>> repos with priorities etc.
>>
> +1
>
> /etc/yumex.profiles.conf does not end with a newline.
>
> The "Group View" check box doesn't seem to to do much.  Noticed that
> "Development/Development Tools" was not checked despite the fact that I
> have extensive development tools installed.  Toggling the check put an
> icon on the line, but added nothing to the queue to process.  On
> restarting the box is again un-checked.

If a group is installed or not, depends on how the groups are defined in
comps.xml.
all mandatory & default packages defined in a group has to be installed
for the group to be installed.
I will check it a little deeper in CentOS 5 to see if it works as expected.