[CentOS-devel] Re: Using CentOS trademarks/artwork etc.

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Thu Aug 23 05:27:03 UTC 2007

On Wed, Aug 22, 2007 at 04:28:30PM +0800, John Summerfield wrote:
> Axel Thimm wrote:
>

> >>What are the CentOS trademark guidelines? Currently there do not seem
> >>to be any listed on the website. There do not seem to be any in the
> >>included product, and there does not seem to be a registered
> >>trademark. I know this gets into the murky area of law, ip etc.. but
> >>it does come up and people's assumptions that they can use it for
> >>anything they want because it is not OBVIOUSLY registered, protected,
> >>or guidelined..
> >
> >I think CentOS should register the trademark in the countries this is
> >most important (US + EU?) and offer a review dependent usage: If a
> >derived product/project like mythcentos or maybe centosfirewall,
>
> I would be very surprised if registering CentOS as a tm had any
> implications for the words "mythcentos" or "centosfirewall,"

Actually I suggested the above irrespective of the original
question.

But to asnwer to your feedback: While NAL I would not really agree
with what you say. The trademark is to protect to product and its
branding. If I take mythcentos or centosfoo and produce a very crappy
derivative product I would harm the project's branding, so it would
not be a fair use of the term anymore.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net