[CentOS-devel] Timeline for C5 beta / final?

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Sun Feb 18 02:41:58 UTC 2007

Rodrigo Barbosa wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 16, 2007 at 10:54:05PM +0000, Karanbir Singh wrote:
>> Joshua Kramer wrote:
>>> All,
>>>
>>> Does anyone have a timeline for the CentOS 5 release candidates and/or
>>> final?
>> We will aim to have the CentOS-5 Final release within 2 weeks of
>> upstream release. So far, based on news around ETA upstream looks like
>> 15th March.
>
> Karan,
> 	I'm asking, obviously, for a guess here.
>
> 	How viable do you think it will be to do an upgrade from
> 4.4 to 5 on a live system, based on what you've seen on the beta ?

Ok, there are 2 methods to consider here :

1. doing it with yum on a running machine : its do-able, but requires
some $clue. The aim is to proide this $clue via a shell script that
anyone can run to 'move' a machine from C-4 to C-5. There are some
issues to keep in mind - the only way to handle conflicting packages is
by repackaging an existing rpm then rpm -e -justdb removing them, going
through the upgrade and then doing the safest cleanup possible at the end.

2. doing it via anaconda's upgradeany method : this is a bit simpler
since packages are more or less just installed from scratch onto the
same filesystem. The issues that I've had to work with ( and have a
couple of patches for ) are when users have CentOS-Plus or CentOS-Extras
  enabled. Packages from these repo's are not really orphans, and should
not be treated as such. Exactly how we handle these is still
semi-open-to-discussion. But rather than having that discussion right
now, I think lets have that post-c5beta, so we fix real problems rather
than hypothetical ones.

Either way, orphans are going to get created - and extra dep's are going
to get installed ( in most cases ) - and the best way to work around
that, i feel, is to have a firstboot plugin that handles it for anaconda
upgradeany upgrades and via a shell script for yum upgrades. Once we
have this script running the way we want, we can then drop that into a
rpm and moving it into centos-4-extras. Thereby making a move to
centos-5 as simple as 'yum install upgrade-to-centos5' from a centos-4
machine