[CentOS-devel] Timeline for C5 beta / final?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sun Feb 18 04:36:02 UTC 2007

Karanbir Singh wrote:

>>> isnt that why you use hwaddr in your network scripts ?
>> That's even worse. All of my remote machines have swappable disks and
>> almost all of them are cloned from a few masters, shipped, and swapped
>> into the destination machine with the IP address set on a temporary box.
>
> This is your site policy, and is not necessary how everyone runs their
> machines. I, for one, take it that each drive that is added to a machine
> is going to be empty - its trivial to remaster a machine on the fly with
> tools like cobbler+koan and use puppet to manage the machine, Capistrano
> to manage app rollout.

I'm not familiar with those tools, but I assume they require a certain
amount of nearby infrastructure which would be extra trouble to
duplicate and maintain in all our remote locations.  And it doesn't cost
any more to ship a disk already loaded than empty.

> The concern you raised was about network interfaces not coming up in a
> predictable manner when people move from centos-4 to centos-5, the
> answer to which is, use hwaddr's in your network scripts.

The concern it more general - more about unpredictable differences.
Having seen a difference in what the hwaddr setting does even within a
version, I wouldn't count on it to work across versions without testing
it first.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com