[CentOS-devel] Timeline for C5 beta / final?

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Sun Feb 18 04:50:28 UTC 2007

Les Mikesell wrote:
> The concern it more general - more about unpredictable differences.
> Having seen a difference in what the hwaddr setting does even within a
> version, I wouldn't count on it to work across versions without testing
> it first.

Absolutely, and things get even murkier with Virtualised Interfaces and
VM's where there is sometimes no real relation to the MAC Addr at all!
Even the Vendor portion cant be relied upon to identify a device.

While still on the same subject of upgrades and testing etc, if someone
is creating VM's to migrate a real machine into take a look at vmware's
Converter tool ( url: http://www.vmware.com/products/converter/ ). I've
not used it myself, but heard from people who have that it does what one
would expect from such a tool, and handles most network issues / drive
and driver issues fairly cleanly.

- KB