[CentOS-devel] Timeline for C5 beta / final?

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Sun Feb 18 16:06:30 UTC 2007

Les Mikesell wrote:
> Karanbir Singh wrote:
>>
>> While still on the same subject of upgrades and testing etc, if
>> someone is creating VM's to migrate a real machine into take a look at
>> vmware's Converter tool ( url:
>> http://www.vmware.com/products/converter/ ). I've not used it myself,
>> but heard from people who have that it does what one would expect from
>> such a tool, and handles most network issues / drive and driver issues
>> fairly cleanly.
>
> That's for windows.

humm, I am quite sure that it was a linux machine that I saw migrated -
perhaps their free version only does Windows so far, but i am quite sure
linux machines are in the pipeline.

> With Linux you can use most of the usual backup/
> restore procedures that you would use with physical machines (tar,cpio,
> rsync, etc.) and you have to deal with the same problems of getting a
> working disk driver in the initrd image and installing grub that you
> would have with real machines.  Is there a generic tool to do those two
> things easier than booting an install CD in rescue mode and doing it by
> hand?

I suppose if you knew what modules you are going to need, then doing it
at the same time as the VM is created would be possible. If not, then
its a bit of a mismatch. Perhaps something to take on as a small weekend
project ?