[CentOS-devel] CentOS 4 Samba - More bugs (Was: Re: CentOS 4 Samba - Excel 2002/2003 bug)

Mike Fedyk mfedyk at mikefedyk.com
Mon Feb 26 22:53:42 UTC 2007

Durval Menezes wrote:
> Hello Folks,
>
> FWI (and slightly OT), we have had no end of troubles with the standard
> 3.0.10-EL4 Samba RPMs, specially regarding MS SMS installations. We have
> fixed all of them just by upgrading to Samba 3.0.23d, rebuilt (with a
> simple "rpmbuild --rebuild") from the SRPM available at
> 	http://ftp.sernet.de/pub/samba/src/samba3-3.0.23d-30.src.rpm
>
> We have not yet tried the new 3.0.24 version, but we assume it would
> work just as well.
>
> If you use LDAP authentication, there's a change in the Samba schema
> regarding indexing, mostly harmless but you will have to rebuild the
> LDAP indexes using slapindex (it's on the Release Notes).
>
> If the upstream vendor used more up-to-date versions of some packages
> (3.0.10 is more than 2 years obsolete, for example) I think there would
> be much less crying and gnashing of teeth, but them maybe it would be
> much less fun too :-)

http://www.redhat.com/advice/speaks_backport.html

Enterprise distributions like Red hat, Suse, Ubuntu LTS and Debian all
take the stance of stability and backport any bug fixes as they are needed.

That said, looking at the changelog for the samba does not show a lot of
bug fixes being backported and looking at the list of open bugs I see
several that are more than one year old and have been fixed by using the
upstream source code instead.  One had a patch 10 months after the
initial report.  The original reporter refused to go back to the distro
version because upstream was working fine.

Am I only seeing the shadows or is it really as bad as the 1+ year old
bug reports say?