[CentOS-devel] help needed : Distro migration guides / scripts

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Thu Jan 4 01:59:57 UTC 2007

Hello everyone,

Firstly, have a great new year everyone! I am sure its going to be an
exciting 2007!

Secondly, I am looking for some help with creating migration guides and
( if needed ) scripts to help people move from Oracle's Linux to CentOS.
There have been a few requests for this, and we know that people who
installed Oracle's linux are updating their machines against the CentOS
repo's : and we'd like to give them an option of doing the right thing.

Its important that we make sure they dont leave behind broken installed
tree's ( Oracle does some odd things to the package Release tag's and in
some cases these people updating against CentOS will get left with
dangling packages, it would be nice if that didnt happen ).

So, would anyone like to take up this task ? I will help in whatever way
possible, David Parsley has also offered to help along anyone with his
experience in doing the TaoLinux to CentOS migration process.

What we need is essentially this :

1) A way to get the right config's setup ( and the centos-release
package installed )

2) Check the updates and package management system - get yum installed
and ensure up2date is pointing at the right place

3) Check for packages that need updating - and inform the user about them.

4) check for orphans ( packages that have no update path in the new
CentOS repo's ) and report them to the user - there is a script in
yum-utils that already does this.

5) Check and report on packages which have a EVR > than whats in CentOS
and report on what they are ( and maybe some changelog info that the
user can see and decide what he wants to do with the? or is that even
required ? )

6) Finally, do whatever is required to either move the machine to CentOS
or leave it alone.

I suppose the order in which things are done can easily be changed

- KB