[CentOS-devel] Re: logged in sessions - was CentOS 5 ArtWork

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Mon Jan 15 19:36:56 UTC 2007

Jason_Meers spake the following on 1/14/2007 10:38 AM:
> Christoph Maser wrote:
>

>> Actually the default logins (text mode and gdm) both show the hostname.
>> Don't tell me you leave logged in sessions.
>>

> No not normally, only on a few specific machines on the LAN that are
> only accessible from another machine on the LAN.
>
> 1) Not all backup software has usable command line tools, so sometimes
> you have to connect the a GUI on a logged in session.
>
> 2) If you look at the way remote desktop(vino-server) and vnc work it is
> impossible to remote control the session if the machine is not already
> logged in (the session doesn't exist). Some dirty workarounds do exist
> i.e the machine uses gnome session, but vnc uses a kde session to avoid
> various conflicts.
I have to disagree. I have a couple of servers that only boot to a level 3
login screen, but I can use vnc to these servers with no problems. The local
terminal rarely gets logged into unless I am using the CDrom drive to load or
fix something. The vnc service does log in to a user account, but you can fix
it to work off xinetd, and block it from being accessed from outside.

--

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and