[CentOS-devel] Re: CentOS5 virtual machine image

Nils Toedtmann centos-mail at nils.toedtmann.net
Fri Jan 26 02:41:53 UTC 2007

Am Donnerstag, den 25.01.2007, 21:31 +0100 schrieb Daniel de Kok:
> On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 20:54:13 +0100
> Nils Toedtmann <centos-mail at nils.toedtmann.net> wrote:
> > glibc and db4 have to be
> > patched/rebuilt because of NPTL incompatibilities.
>
> Upstream is working on domainU support for their 4 branch, so that will
> probably not be a problem in the future.

Great news! (Who is "upstream" - RedHat? Do they backport the
nptl-patches from RHEL5?)

> > Sure (i hope i know what you mean with "role"). Could be done by empty
> > meta-packages like ubuntu's "{,k,x}ubuntu-desktop".
>
> I like the approach that is taken with FC6 live CD's, they use some
> meta packages that pull in all dependencies for a "role".

Me too, it's the same approach as ubuntu's. It's more appropriate than
the "groupinstall" method.

> [...] The live CD scripts, as-is don't work on CentOS 4. But when I
> looked into it the required changes were fairly trivial (sorry, I don't
> have patches for the work I had done).

What are the advantages over virt-install (part of virt-manager) you
mentioned in the other post?

> > Don't forget all those not using CentOS - yet!
>
> I'd say, develop the build framework for C4 and possibly C3, and
> retrofit it to C5 if it works. [...]

Isn't that breaking a fly on the wheel? I just supposed some officially
released, polished sample-images running on as many VMMs and Host-OSes
as possible. That could be done by a shell script of a few dozens lines
or by calling virt-install with a nice kickstart.

Just my 2ct, /nils.