[CentOS-devel] Re: CentOS5 virtual machine image

Nils Toedtmann centos-mail at nils.toedtmann.net
Wed Jan 31 20:21:04 UTC 2007

Am Sonntag, den 28.01.2007, 18:42 +0000 schrieb Karanbir Singh:
> >> I like the approach that is taken with FC6 live CD's, they use some
> >> meta packages that pull in all dependencies for a "role".
> >
> > Me too, it's the same approach as ubuntu's. It's more appropriate than
> > the "groupinstall" method.
>
> why is it more appropriate ? it sounds more of a kludge to achieve
> something with a package manager unable to support groups directly.
> Since yum can, we should use groupinstall and group/* to manage such stuff.

Oops, my knowledge about rpm/yum groups is obviosly out of date, sorry.
Is there some documentation out there?

(So yum groups are defined in xml files which must be somehow imported
to the systems rpmdb ... isn't that a bit inflexible? How can i maintain
a groupdefinition ("Application Server") and add that definition to a
3rd-party yum repo?)

/nils.