[CentOS-devel] yum 2.4.3 updates for CentOS 3 and 4 in the testing repo

Michael Paesold mpaesold at gmx.at
Mon Jun 18 15:31:02 UTC 2007

Daniel de Kok wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-06-18 at 12:58 +0200, Michael Paesold wrote:
>> Not related to this issue, but I have found a server where the new yum
>> does not update default kernels correctly ("Could not determine the
>> default kernel!). The only thing I see that could cause this, is that
>> the server does not have a boot partition, so this is grub.conf (after
>> manually updating default to 0):
>
> What does
>
> /sbin/grubby --grub --default-kernel
>
> say?

# /sbin/grubby --grub --default-kernel
/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.21-50.EL

(i.e. the correct one according to the current grub.conf file)

Btw. I cannot say with 100% certainty that this was working before, so
perhaps there was already a bug in the old yum. I just don't have much
time to test downgrading to the old yum now.
Still I can't remember that I had such an issue before on any CentOS 3
server. (I did have on some CentOS 2 boxes which had been upgraded from
RedHat 7.0, which also showed problems with kernel default updates.)

Best Regards
Michael Paesold