[CentOS-devel] Centosplus release and updates cycle

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Thu Mar 8 15:36:58 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-03-08 at 11:22 -0300, Leonardo Vilela Pinheiro wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I´d like to understand better the release cycle of Centosplus
> packages.
>
> From http://mdw1982.com/pipermail/centos_search/2006-
> March/006556.html :
> "Packages for centosplus are submitted to the
> developers, we check package quality, build, stability, etc. We
> discuss the packages, and they go to the development repository. If
> they get enough positive feedback, they move to centosplus. If not,
> they sit there because ostensibly there is no one using/pushing for
> them."
>
> For every package in Centosplus, is there a responsible person in
> charge, which should release security updates/patches for it?

The person in charge of the packages (most of them are me or Jim Perrin)
will update those if an upstream release is done ... as most of those
packages are either rebuilds of our normal packages with different
options (ie, kernel) or some other upstream released packages (ie, RHWAS
for mysql, php, postgresql, httpd), or something else ... like jfs or
xfs tools (which go with the kernel).

The bottom line is ... those packages can be used and we will make every
effort to keep them updated ... but they are not as well tested as
CentOS proper.

> Do you know how is this process inside Red Hat, and how our process
> compare to theirs?

No idea exactly what their process is ... but our process is not like
that one; as in ... we have no one working for us who does nothing but X
or Y package all day long.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes