[CentOS-devel] C5: yum-metadata and non-yum yum-metadata

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Sat Mar 10 17:14:47 UTC 2007

seth vidal wrote:
> - except that we've already fixed yum 3.1.X for this problem.
>
> If you want to backport the patch from 3.1.x to 3.0.x that'd probably be
> simplest.
>
> in fact, it's probably what red hat has done, too.

I've got yum--3.0.x from c5b working with the mediaid stuff in a remote
repo, took a part of the patch from jkatz - since he seemed to also be
fixing other stuff in there.

but the plot got a bit dense from there on - since it now seems we need
to either :

a) also backport that fix into yum-2.4 (!)

or

b) get a yum-3.0.x working on CentOS-4 so that people can grab that rpm,
and use that to move from CentOS-4 to CentOS-5

I know the yum migration route isnt supported or even encouraged - but
thats not going to stop people from doing it anyway ( as we saw during
the CentOS-3 to CentOS-4 release time ). So if we can, I'd really like
to make this possible, in some way or the other.

So, does anyone have the time to look at this ? I am quite tied up with
a *lot* of stuff on my plate at the moment.

- KB