[CentOS-devel] Zero day updates upstream

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Fri Mar 16 03:14:46 UTC 2007

Karanbir Singh wrote:
> John Summerfield wrote:
>> I too would like them rolled in. If I userstand anaconda-list
>> properly, it's now possible to include multiple repos in the install
>> tree.
>
> thats the main reason why we are considering so strongly to not roll
> them in, since its possible to enable the updates repo at install time
> and just use the packages from there instead of using the packages in
> the distro media....

I'm thinking the updates should be in the install tree; if installing
without an Internet connextion, they should still be available.

>> Why not add updates? In the CD images, it could be a separate CD so
>> one could just download (or create) a refreshed CD image. Possibly,
>> updates (U{1,2,3...} could be done this way too.
>
> Too much changes during an Quarterly Update cycle to go down that route
> - eg. by 5.5 you could end up with 12CD's or something like that - and
> the media needs to be rebuilt anyway ( the installer needs to know what
> rpms are available where before it starts doing its dep resolution )

If all the current updates are on the one CD (would they fit), then many
users can just refresh their updates repo and keep on with the same old
six CDs. They could remaster a DVD simply by creating a new image with
mkisofs and the other magic, including --graft-points.

>> Also, pls look ar Jigdo (see Debian). It would allow users to
>>  Download master templates, and fill it in from
>> a. Earlier ISOs
>> b. One or more mirrors.
>>
>> The final result is a bit-for-bit copy of the original, and jigdo
>> checks the checksum.
>>
>> To create U1 ISOs, folk could use jigdo to fetch the template,
>> download (maybe from the local LAN if they've been downloaded wity yum
>> and kept) all changes and create new images without downloading stuff
>> they already have.
>
> doesnt Rsync already achieve much of this functionality ? when you rsync
> over an iso, you really should get only changed bits.

You are limited to where you get the updates from; only one source.
Jigdo can, in principle, handle any number, including the previous image.

> Having said that - if anyone wants to take up the jidgo distribution
> mechanism and work with us through release time doing whatever is
> required - please do feel free to step up and join the effort.

Has anyone got that magazine DVD (I think it was Linux Format) that has
Jigdo set up so you can create CD images from the DVD?

> - KB

Mostly, I'm too bandwidth-constrained (think dialup) to do much more
than write emails.

--

Cheers
John