[CentOS-devel] Zero day updates upstream

Jeff Sheltren sheltren at cs.ucsb.edu
Fri Mar 16 17:38:56 UTC 2007

On Mar 16, 2007, at 12:44 PM, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> C. Halstead wrote:
>> ----- "Karanbir Singh" <mail-lists at karan.org> wrote:
>>> Just talking to Lance and Johnny online, and we feel the best way
>>> forward might be to add an Media-Updates/ repo on the iso's
>>> itself - then list both the local media updates as well as
>>> mirror.centos.org updates repo's in the anaconda screen, both
>>> disabled.
>>>
>>> We feel this gives us the max wins in each direction ( but will
>>> slightly increase the data size on the last cd, as packages from
>>> cd-1
>>> will move to cd-2 etc.
>>>
>>> I will still try and ensure that a minimum install is possible
>>> using only cd-1, but cant promise that.
>>>
>>> - KB
>> +1 to this if we can still produce a single-CD minimal install.
>> IMO the value if a one-disc install is higher than the value of a
>> release that contains the initial update set.  In a month or two
>> there will be additional updates to apply anyway, so it doesn't
>> seem prudent to sacrifice the one-disc install for the life of the
>> release to gain a (very) small convenience up front.  Just my .02
>> ---
>
> if we can get a few more people voting this way, then I feel we
> have a decision on this issue.
>
> - KB

  I am agreeable to this, but I would actually prefer to simply mimic
upstream -- release 5.0 with the same base pacakges as upstream, and
provide necessary updates in the updates repo.  I don't see a strong
reason to spend time modifying the CD images to contain a few package
updates that are easily downloaded after install time.

If you proceed with the suggestion you mentioned above, are you
implying that the so called "zero day updates" will appear in both
the "media-updates" repo on the CD, and in the official updates repo
on the FTP & mirrors?

-Jeff