[CentOS-devel] Zero day updates upstream

Jeff Sheltren sheltren at cs.ucsb.edu
Fri Mar 16 20:41:07 UTC 2007

On Mar 16, 2007, at 4:01 PM, John Summerfield wrote:

> Jeff Sheltren wrote:
>>
>>  I am agreeable to this, but I would actually prefer to simply
>> mimic upstream -- release 5.0 with the same base pacakges as
>> upstream, and provide necessary updates in the updates repo.  I
>> don't see a strong reason to spend time modifying the CD images to
>> contain a few package updates that are easily downloaded after
>> install time.
>
> "easily downloaded?"
>
> How long since you lived with this? I don't have a choice!
> [summer at bilby ~]$ ping -c5 -q beta.centos.org
> ping: unknown host beta.centos.org
> [summer at bilby ~]$ ping -c5 -q beta.centos.org
> PING beta.centos.org (72.13.100.148) 56(84) bytes of data.
>

> --- beta.centos.org ping statistics ---
> 5 packets transmitted, 4 received, 20% packet loss, time 13070ms
> rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 1073.620/1254.659/1491.147/184.761 ms, pipe 3

Well, actually my Internet connection at home as been down for a week
now - yay lazy Caribbean islands!

But back on topic, if connectivity to mirrors is such a big issue,
why not mirror the needed packages while you are online and then
point your machines to a local mirror?

It is not like these packages will not be available when CentOS 5
goes public, ti's just a matter of if they'll be on the CD or not.
In my opinion, it's not worth the trouble to modify the CDs and
installer, but I'm not the one doing the work, so I'll leave that
decision up to the centos developers.

-Jeff