[CentOS-devel] auto-fixed-version-deps checking and rebuilding

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Sun May 20 23:49:27 UTC 2007

so before I go reinvent the wheel...

does anyone want to recommend a process / toolset that can check for
fixed-version deps in a repository and rebuild the failing deps against a new
version of the deprecated package ?

eg. when a new kernel is built, I want to get a list of all the packages in the
repo that depended on the older version of the kernel, and who no longer work
with the newer one. If there are hooks in this tool to allow me to plumb in a
auto-rebuild-into-a-testing-repo process, that would be star!

The most obvious way seems to be checking the entire repo for closure and
whatever fails, take some action - but that is not a really good way to check
which side is failing. And it also means the new rpms need to be already in a
binary format before I can run the test, so thats not going to work.

What I was thinking of doing was to import the repo metadata, remove details for
the package being superseded, get a before and after picture, then queue in the
now-failing packages behind the new package being built.

Things get even more interesting when there are a bunch of packages being built.
But we can think about that later :)

- KB