[CentOS-devel] yum 2.4.3 updates for CentOS 3 and 4 in the testing repo

Michael Paesold mpaesold at gmx.at
Wed May 23 09:16:57 UTC 2007

Daniel de Kok wrote:
> On Thu, 10 May 2007 21:56:09 +0200
> Daniel de Kok <daniel at centos.org> wrote:
>> * CentOS 3: this is the first release of yum 2.4 for CentOS 3, and we
>>   plan to provide this as an optional upgrade through the CentOSPlus
>>   repository. We have added code to yum 2.4 for default kernel handling
>>   (as setting the default kernel after kernel updates was handled by yum
>>   2.0). Additionally, the package also requires the yum C metadata
>>   parser.
>
> Any folks out there who have tested this on CentOS 3 yet? We'd really
> like to get some feedback on how well this works, especially with the
> new kernel update handling.

I have tested this on two CentOS 3 servers so far. There was no issue
with pyhton-optik here (as mentioned in this thread):

..Dependencies resolved
I will do the following:
[update: yum 2.4.3-4.el3.centos.noarch]
I will install/upgrade these to satisfy the dependencies:
[deps: python-optik 1.4.1-2.noarch]
[deps: python-sqlite 1.1.7-1.2.1.i386]
[deps: centos-yumconf 3-2.noarch]
[deps: sqlite 3.3.6-2.i386]
[deps: python-elementtree 1.2.6-5.el3.centos.i386]
[deps: yum-metadata-parser 1.1.0-2.el3.centos.i386]
[deps: python-urlgrabber 2.9.8-2.noarch]

On one of the servers I use packages from rpmforge. I installed the
priorities plugin, added some repository specific excludes etc. All
works very well (and much faster now). I updated about 10 packages using
the new yum and there were no issues.

Concerning the kernel update handling: There hasn't been a kernel update
for CentOS 3 in quite some time, so it's hard to test on a production
server. I will see if I can find some time to test this here on a server
at the office. What are you concerned about most? A system with more
than one kernel flavor installed?

Best Regards
Michael Paesold