[CentOS-devel] RHSA-2007:1020

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Thu Nov 1 12:55:12 UTC 2007

Nikolay Ulyanitsky wrote:
> May be to rebuild the package with current %dist and put it to 5.1
> release without rebuilding?
>
> On Wed, 2007-10-31 at 22:34 +0000, Karanbir Singh wrote:
>> 1) We build it with what we have at the moment, 5.0 + Updates

The point is that upstream are now using the %dist tag ( rightly or not,
  its there now - so we cant really question that anymore. I suppose,
like other things, we live with it ) to indicate what tree[1] the
package was built against. This could be used by clients and users  to
verify and track the origin within the Z release's.

If we do what you are saying - that is build with el5_0 and just move it
as is into the 5.1.x tree's - we end up with a package set that cant be
tracked back to origin by name, and is not even declared as centos modified.

For the time being, we released with el5_0, but I would really vote for
rebuild with 5.1 ( so we get the linking and stuff right, and can
actually rpmverify for an exact match ) and release that rebuilt package
when we can.