[CentOS-devel] Inclusion of a driver into the distribution.

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Sat Oct 27 12:06:35 UTC 2007

Daniel de Kok wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, 2007-10-26 at 17:42 -0700, Jason Gross wrote:
>>     We have a driver that we would like to get included into the
>> CentOS distribution (and others). How would we go about getting it
>> in? We're currently planning to license it under GPL.

If you mean that it gets included in one of our "Extra" repositories,
then we can do that with no problem. (Our extras or centosplus repos)

If you would like it to get into the BOOTING kernel that we have on our
release ISOs then the only way is to get it included in the RHEL kernel
upstream and have them added it to  the specific version of RHEL as we
do not patch or otherwise change the modules built or loaded on our
release kernel.

> If it can be compiled as a module against the CentOS kernel, it could be
> included as a kmod package.

kmod probably the absolute best way to get it done (built outside the
kernel tree and against the /lib/<version>/build), as it allows us to
add it to all our kernels without patching.  It does not get on our
install CDs this way however.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes