[CentOS-devel] CentOS and JBoss

Steven Stallion stallions at ociweb.com
Thu Apr 3 18:11:56 UTC 2008

All,

(The company which I work for has authorized me to engage the CentOS
community and make a proposal with regard to a whitebox JBoss distribution.)

OCI currently provides support for JBoss and other related technologies.
During the course of our work, we are now finding it difficult to manage
patches between releases without rolling our own distribution. We also
have several clients who need to re-distribute in their own products.

I'm sure most of you are familiar with certain policies which prevent
the JBoss name from being used for redistribution.

So my proposal is this:

I would like to propose a new open source project (a sister project, if
you will) which aims at providing a CentOS analogue to JBoss: CentAS.
This project will be commercially sponsored by OCI (in terms of manpower
to create the distribution). Everything free, everything open, and most
definitely no trademark restrictions.

Mainly we are concerned with the JBoss source only, but this certainly
opens up some doors for packaging/distribution within CentOS, leading
perhaps to an open alternative to Red Hat's application.

Thoughts?

--
Steven Stallion
Senior Software Engineer