[CentOS-devel] CentOS and JBoss

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Thu Apr 3 20:39:55 UTC 2008

On Thu, 3 Apr 2008, Johnny Hughes wrote:

> Now that CentOS has got a good build of java-openjdk, we
> (the main centos devels) have every intention of rebuilding
> the RHWAS (including the JBoss bits).

which I mentioned to Stallion, and being aware of hughes'
efforts I pointed him to this list.

> Assuming the JBoss server bits build correctly, we can do this.

> One part of "all free" would be a gpl'ed version of java
> (which java-openjdk is).

As hughes was not active in IRC [probably some silly excuse
like: $JOB], I would briefly mention that Steven Stallion and
I spoke in IRC and then by telephone Wednesday a bit.

I stressed my strong interest that anything which was using
(or wanting to assert some possible affiliation with) CentOS
as a base be well packaged which probably elicited this from
him:

> How would you guys feel if we were to take care of the JBoss
> portion while you guys take care of packaging? (We have to
> do this anyway, so we may as well donate the work out!)

and of course I had in the back of my mind the downstream
and lateral projects which do not respect the packaging
system, or do not strive to avoid incompatabilities which
confuse the updater and the package management tool.

We also talked though mark elidation matters a bit.

-- Russ herrold