[CentOS-devel] CentOS-5 on i586

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Sat Apr 5 11:43:11 UTC 2008

Hi Guys,

Thanks Manuel for stepping up and offering to help with the i586 work. I
know that we had already done some work on this a long time back, Daniel
doing most of the heavy lifting at the time.

Afaik, Daniel has been busy with RealLife [tm] issues, so I am not sure
if he wants to stay as the centos-devel as point man for this project.
If not, I will step in and get involved.

He did, however, ask a very important question - is there enough
traction in the i586 world today to even consider the i586 port
worthwhile ? Since most major platforms really are i686 ? I'd still like
to see some answers to that question!

I do have some old i586 stuff ( things that came out from a LaCie 1U
storage box Via C3, 500Mhz ) and a AMD K6-2 550Mhz Compaq Laptop from
years gone by. Both of these can be made available if people want
something central to test on / test with. Beyond that, we can make some
builder threads available and if required a dedicated project on
projects.centos.org with svn / trac and issue tracking.