[CentOS-devel] Project proposal: CentAS

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Sat Apr 5 11:44:32 UTC 2008

Steven Stallion wrote:
> I would like to formally propose a new project for CentOS for inclusion
> on projects.centos.org: CentAS.

for me - wierd name. the jboss stuff is a part of the webstack, which is
something that is going to get done / built anyway, so the project
should be aimed at that and the name should signify that. Also, the
webstack includes other things ( which will be available for testing
later today ), which are not Java related.

> The CentAS project aims to provide a free and redistributable version of
> JBoss which compiles with Red Hat trademark guidelines and policies.
> Each release will mirror the stable community releases provided by
> jboss.org, sans trademarked names and logos. The 4.2 branch will be the
> initial release target.

How is this going to overlap / co-exist with the rhwas stuff ?

> Future considerations include packaging/redistribution within CentOS, as
> well as the possibility of creating a free and open CentOS Application
> Stack.

First question on that is - what jvm / jre / jdk is going to be used ?
is it completely open source and are there any distribution /
redistribution issues associated with this ?

> I will serve as the initial project lead, and developer.

you still need a centos developer to join your team of developers :D