[CentOS-devel] WebStack on CentOS-5

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Sat Apr 5 22:06:36 UTC 2008

hi,

Background: the webstack on C4 is only available in the CentOSPlus repo
since it overwrites packages from the base repo.

For the Webstack on C5, Johnny and I spoke about and want to propose
changing that a little bit. Essentially, move the webstack to a
subdirectory under the CentOSPlus repo and have metadata for Just the
Webstack available as an option for people who dont want the rest of
CentOSPlus.

The default action will remain the same. i.e. people who have the plus
repo enabled, will see the entire published webstack in exactly the same
way as they did for c4. Ofcourse the aim will be to ensure we get 100%
dep closure on Base+Updates+WebStack as well as Base+Updates+Plus. Where
Plus will include WebStack + other packages. We hope to address a few
issues ( in order of importance ):

a) People moving from c4 will see no difference in the way things work

b) People who want just the webstack can see 'only' the webstack and not
need to use includepkg / exclude's

c) the rsync targets from mirrors wont change, so people mirroring the
plus repo will get the new packages, along with combined metadata.

The base packageset will get released to -qa soon, and most likely to
testing in a few days time.

Comments ?

btw, one thing to note here - we dont want to make it a habit of
building X number of repos. But since this is an extra 'product' ( for
the lack of a better word to describe it ), we feel that this move would
be justified this time.