[CentOS-devel] WebStack on CentOS-5

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Sun Apr 6 15:09:57 UTC 2008

On Sat, Apr 5, 2008 at 4:06 PM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org> wrote:
> hi,
>
>  Background: the webstack on C4 is only available in the CentOSPlus repo
> since it overwrites packages from the base repo.
>
>  For the Webstack on C5, Johnny and I spoke about and want to propose
> changing that a little bit. Essentially, move the webstack to a subdirectory
> under the CentOSPlus repo and have metadata for Just the Webstack available
> as an option for people who dont want the rest of CentOSPlus.
>
>  The default action will remain the same. i.e. people who have the plus repo
> enabled, will see the entire published webstack in exactly the same way as
> they did for c4. Ofcourse the aim will be to ensure we get 100% dep closure
> on Base+Updates+WebStack as well as Base+Updates+Plus. Where Plus will
> include WebStack + other packages. We hope to address a few issues ( in
> order of importance ):
>
>  a) People moving from c4 will see no difference in the way things work
>
>  b) People who want just the webstack can see 'only' the webstack and not
> need to use includepkg / exclude's
>
>  c) the rsync targets from mirrors wont change, so people mirroring the plus
> repo will get the new packages, along with combined metadata.
>
>  The base packageset will get released to -qa soon, and most likely to
> testing in a few days time.
>
>  Comments ?
>
>  btw, one thing to note here - we dont want to make it a habit of building X
> number of repos. But since this is an extra 'product' ( for the lack of a
> better word to describe it ), we feel that this move would be justified this
> time.

 I could see where X number of sub-repos might be useful for users..
but it is an extra pain to deal with without 'paying customers'.
Having CentOS-Plus segregated lower as "Web, Kernel,
EvolutionsFunToys" would allow people to choose what they wanted and
what they didn't and having it higher up as "CentOS-Plus" shouldn't
break existing setups.

So sleep-deprived grumpy conclusion: I like it. Can't think of
problems at this time.