[CentOS-devel] CentOS-5 on i586

Alan Bartlett ajb.stxsl at googlemail.com
Mon Apr 7 11:08:49 UTC 2008

On 07/04/2008, Manuel Tuthill <Manuel at nebula-it.co.uk> wrote:

> Overall not everyone can run i686 for whatever reason. The fact remains
> IMO
> that there is still a fair amount of need for an i586 image regardless of
> it
> it's for fall back issues or run natively I also believe that this isn't
> catered for by Centos 4 with support that run's out in ~4 years.

But surely we should not forget the basic essential of the CentOS Project -
it's equivalence to Upstream's EL. If Upstream support an i586 in their EL 5
then, yes, CentOS should.

Manuel has put forward a valid argument for CentOS 5 i586 support but it
should not be at the detriment of the CentOS Project's core ethos. Perhaps
i586 support could be provided as an offshoot (which, given time, will
become a dead-end). Support which Manuel, and like minded persons, could
provide (under the watchful eye of one of the core developers) perhaps?

Alan.